The cover letter is an oft missed tool to make an excellent first impression. Job seekers sometimes overlook the chance to add vital information that a deliberately concise CV doesn’t allow. Vital information such as a description of your achievements and your intention to help the company succeed, are just two suggestions for cover letter information. Other suggestions include: demonstrating that you’ve done your research and that you have the qualifications sought by the hiring manager. PlaceMe UK suggests a short and concise cover letter made of three paragraphs.
- The first can state your educational and/or work experience with a closing sentence describing what you seek.
- The second paragraph should describe what makes you a good fit for the position that you hope to fill.
- The closing paragraph should end in the active voice. It is likely going to be the last impression that you leave in the mind of the person reading it. Fill it with passion; fill it with excitement and compel the reader to take action for you.
Dos and Donts
- Do tailor the cover letter to the position. Whether you’re applying to PlaceMe UK or to a position of one of our clients, we need to be convinced that you’ve read the job description and consider this job to be a good fit for your needs.
- Don’t give the hiring manager the impression that you’ve sent your CV to every Tom, Dick and Harriet.
- Do state what you want, to allow the hiring manager the opportunity to learn more about YOU.
- Don’t lie on your CV. Even if you make it to the interview stage, this will eventually be caught.
- Do show that you’ve put some thought into your application and that you’ve imagined what it would be like to work at the company. You’ll likely be doing so for a good chunk of your week; give the decision the consideration it deserves.
- Don’t waste yours and the hiring manager’s time trying to squeeze a square peg into a round hole. There are employers seeking your talents and skillset out there – apply to the ones that fit.
Some examples of strong cover letter endings
- “I am really excited to learn more about this opportunity and share how I will be a great fit for PlaceMe UK. “
- “I believe this is a position where I can grow because of the opportunities that you provide to your employees.”
- “I would appreciate the opportunity to meet you to discuss how my qualifications and experience are a right fit for your team.”
- “If I am offered this position, I would be ready to hit the ground running to help exceed PlaceMe UK's expectations of me.”
If you would like advice on a great cover letter, call HR on 0203 637 6445 quoting "cover letter blog post".